• Home
  • Academics
  • Degrees
  • Distance Masters Degree
  • M.S.
  • Frequently Asked Questions

Distance Masters Degree

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the minimum requirements for applicants (i.e., GPA, GRE scores etc.)?

A: We don’t have set minimum requirements. We review each applicant carefully and consider the combination of GPA (with emphasis on chemistry courses), letters of recommendation and the personal statement. We have in the past taken students with deficiencies in one of the above areas who have turned out to be outstanding scientists. We view the collection of materials to arrive at our decision.

Q: What is the average time it takes your students to earn their masters degree?

A: Typically it would take a minimum of three years, as most students will only be taking one course per semester.

Q: Can any of my courses be waived if I took similar courses at a different university?

A: Maybe. If the university is reputable and the syllabus clearly identifies the content similarity it may be possible but requires faculty approval.

Q: What methods of payment for the application fee are accepted?

A: You may use all major credit cards, a personal check or a money order. It is not advisable to send cash and we are not liable for lost money. The fee should be sent to the graduate school with your application and not to the department.

Q: Do letters of recommendation need to be formatted in a special way?

A: No. Unlike some universities, we do not require special formatting. It is important that the reference be signed and printed on institutional letterhead.  However, each letter of recommendation must be accompanied by the official recommendation form (see graduate letter recommendation form).

Q: What sort of resources are available to enrolled students who are taking the classes, but are not located in Lawrence?

A: The KU Libraries website has information dedicated to helping students find information. This site can be accessed here: http://guides.lib.ku.edu/pharmsciences

Q: How is my industrial supervisor selected?

A: You will nominate a person at your company to serve as your industrial supervisor. This person should be a senior member of the research staff and should submit a current CV to Michelle Huslig for approval.

Q: How will my exams be monitored at my industrial site?

A: Your industrial supervisor will arrange for monitoring of the exams. Please provide contact information for your supervisor if you have not already done so.

Q: How do I select my industrial research project?

A: You and your industrial supervisor should outline a potential research project which should be publishable and submit it to Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry.  The Department will then propose a faculty advisor from the Department with research interests in the chosen area. You, your industrial advisor, and the faculty member will then map out a research project that will be submitted for approval. 

Q: Can the courses that I take through the distance masters program count towards a future Ph.D. degree at the University of Kansas?

A: Yes.

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today

Our research projects ranging from traditional pharmaceutics to biotechnology. 

Learn more here.